John Chouinard, OFM
1910 – 1973
Fr. John Chouinard, OFM, was born in Beecher Falls, Vt., on April 26, 1910. He entered the Province’s novitiate in 1930 at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., and professed temporary vows one year later.
In 1935, Fr. John made his profession of solemn vows and was ordained a priest in 1937.
Fr. John devoted a great part of his ministerial life to church music, an area in which he was a specialist. From the time of his ordination until 1953, he taught Gregorian chant to the novices and the clerics of St. Bonaventure in Paterson and St. Anthony in Butler, N.J.
As provincial director of music, he shuttled back and forth several times a week, conducting classes and preparing choirs for special functions. From 1938 to 1944, Fr. John also served as assistant master of novices in Paterson. From 1947 to 1954, he was pastor of St. Catherine of Bologna Church in Ringwood, N.J., and later served as pastor at St. Francis Xavier in Narrowsburg, N.Y.
Fr. John taught music and theology at Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y., for seven years. He also served at St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Brant Beach, N.J., as an assistant.
He died Aug. 2, 1973, in Littleton, N.H. Fr. John was 62 years old, a professed friar for 41 years and a priest for 36 years.