Hyacinth Rueberg, OFM
1867 – 1913
Fr. Hyacinth Rueberg, OFM, was born in Werl, Germany, on June 6, 1867. He entered the novitiate in 1886 and professed temporary vows the following year. In 1890, he professed solemn vows. Fr. Hyacinth was ordained a priest in 1891.
Fr. Hyacinth spent his Franciscan life in parish ministry. As pastor of St. Anthony Church in Butler, N.J., he had the foresight to purchase the remaining property of what is today St. Anthony’s block, which he bought for $3,000 from the Richard Butler heirs. By 1904, he had built a stone school building and hall for the parish.
In 1911, Fr. Hyacinth became the first pastor of St. Leo’s Parish in Elmwood Park, N.J. He installed a heating system in the church and school. He worked with Fr. Francis Koch, OFM, in the establishing of a parish in Garfield, N.J. He conducted the first census in the area and found more than 100 Catholics resided in Garfield ? a determining factor in the establishment of Holy Name Parish in 1911. He also served at St. Stephen’s in Croghan, N.Y., as pastor and guardian.
Fr. Hyacinth died Sept. 11, 1913, in New York City. He was 46 years old, a professed friar for 26 years and a priest for 22 years.