Hubert Woods, OFM
1907 – 1993
Fr. Hubert Woods, OFM, was born in Paterson, N.J., on Aug. 10, 1907. As a child, he went to school at St. Bonaventure’s in Paterson. He entered St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., and then studied at St. Bonaventure College in Allegany, N.Y.
He studied philosophy at Don Bosco College and theology at the International Institute in Turin, Italy. Before entering Holy Name Province, Fr. Hubert taught high school for four years, served in the infantry during World War II and worked as a sales representative for St. Anthony’s Guild.
At the age of 43, he entered the Province’s novitiate in 1950 at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J. Fr. Hubert professed temporary vows in 1951 and solemn vows in 1953. He was ordained a priest that same year at St. Bonaventure Church in Paterson.
After ordination, Fr. Hugh, as he was always called, worked as a sales manager for St. Anthony’s Guild and ministered in various parishes in the Paterson area. He also served as chaplain for the Paterson Police Department.
After retiring from active ministry, Fr. Hugh lived at St. Anthony’s Friary in Butler, N.J., where his child-like Franciscanism and his love of singing endeared him to many.
He died Aug. 2, 1993, at St. Clare’s Hospital in Denville, N.J., eight days before his 86th birthday. Fr. Hugh was a professed friar for almost 42 years and a priest for 40 years.