Gregory P. Toomey, OFM
1920 – 2000
Fr. Gregory Toomey, OFM, was born in New York City on Dec. 4, 1920. On Aug. 12, 1942, he was received into the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Church in Paterson, N.J., by Fr. Mathias Faust, OFM. He professed temporary vows Aug. 13, 1943, and solemn vows on Sept. 17, 1946, before Provincial Minister Fr. Bertrand Campbell, OFM.
After philosophical studies at St. Stephen Friary in Croghan, N.Y., and St. Anthony Friary, Butler, N.J., and theological studies at Holy Name College in Washington, D.C., he was ordained to the priesthood June 12, 1948, in Mt. St. Sepulchre Church, Washington, D.C., by the apostolic delegate, Archbishop (later Cardinal) Amleto Cicognani. In 1949, St. Bonaventure University in Allegany, N.Y., awarded him the Master of Education degree.
Fr. Gregory’s first priestly assignment was to Christ the King Seminary in Allegany. He spent 16 years in two stints, interrupted by time spent earning a bachelor’s degree at Pius X School of Liturgical Music at Manhattanville College, and six years as a lector at the Rye Beach, N.H., philosophy house.
His pastoral phase began in 1970 with 12 years at St. Anthony Shrine in Boston, followed by six years as parochial vicar at St. Bonaventure Parish in Paterson. He returned to Boston for eight more years before retirement in 1996 to Holy Name Friary in Ringwood, N.J.
Fr. Gregory died in Holy Name Friary May 10, 2000. He was 79 years old, a professed friar for 56 years and a priest for almost 52 years.