Gregory F. Wyse, OFM
1914 – 1996
Fr. Gregory Wyse, OFM, was born in Dorchester, Mass., on Feb. 21, 1914. His secondary education was from St. Joseph’s in Callicoon N.Y. He was received into the Order in Paterson, N.J., on Aug. 12, 1937, and professed temporary vows Aug. 13, 1938. Fr. Gregory made his profession of solemn vows on Sept. 17, 1941, and he was ordained to the priesthood May 29, 1943.
Fr. Gregory’s first assignment was to St. Anthony’s Guild for seven years, a period of great expansion for the Guild. He was also appointed a referee on the Court of Domestic Relations, a pastoral diversion he loved very much. He then became resident chaplain at St. Francis Hospital, Jersey City, N.J., for four years where he also taught classes in ethics to the student nurses.
In 1959, Fr. Gregory accepted a call to go to Rome as one of the confessors at St. John Lateran, but because of declining health, he returned to the States after only two years. In 1961, he was chaplain at the University of South Carolina, enjoying the challenge of the non-Catholic culture. In 1967, he went to St. Anthony’s Shrine, Boston, where he carried a full schedule of service and had the responsibility of development and administration of the Franciscan Mission Union in New England.
He moved to Ringwood, N.J., in 1994. Fr. Gregory died at Holy Name Friary there on May 6, 1996, at the age of 82. He was a professed friar for 57 years, and a priest for almost 53 years.