Gerard R. McDonald, OFM
1917 – 2007
Fr. Gerard McDonald, OFM, was born Jan. 20, 1917 in Palo Alto, Pa., and baptized Anthony. In 1933, he entered St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y., where he studied until 1939. He was received into the Order that year and given the name Gerard. He professed temporary vows in 1940, made his solemn profession in 1943 and was ordained in 1945.
In 1946, Fr. Gerard was assigned to Buffalo, N.Y., as one of the five founding friars of Bishop Timon High School. After five years at Timon, he transferred to St. Stephen’s Friary, Croghan, N.Y., where he taught student friars for two years. In 1953, he was appointed an assistant at St. Francis of Assisi Parish in New York City. Two years later, he became pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Thomasville, Ga. He served as chaplain at St. Anthony’s Hospital, St. Petersburg, Fla., in 1961 before returning to the pastoral staff of St. Francis of Assisi Parish, where he served for the next three decades. In 1995, he retired to St. Anthony Friary, Butler, N.J.
He died there on Feb. 11, 2007. Fr. Gerard was 90 years old, a professed friar for 66 years and a priest for 61 years.