Gerard Lewis, OFM
1928 – 2004
Fr. Gerard Lewis, OFM, was born March 15, 1928 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. After high school, he enlisted in the United States Navy. After the Navy, he operated a catering business for 14 years and worked as a post office employee for 18 years. Fr. Gerard had a family of four children with his wife, Frances. After her death in 1976, he decided to enter the priesthood and was received into the novitiate at St. Francis Friary, Brookline, Mass., in 1980. He professed first vows one year later and made his solemn profession and was ordained in 1985.
He served as parochial vicar at St. Anne’s Parish in Fair Lawn, N.J., from 1986 to 1993. He then served as an assistant at Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish in Hewitt, N.J., from 1993 to 1995. In 1995, Fr. Gerard went to St. Anthony Residence, Boston, and transferred to Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J., one year later.
He died there on Feb. 25, 2004. Fr. Gerard was 75 years old, a professed friar for 22 years and a priest for 18 years.