Francis Sullivan, OFM
1906 – 1993
Fr. Francis Sullivan, OFM, was born in Roxbury, Mass., on May 2, 1906. After graduating from high school, he entered St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y. He was received into the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Church in Paterson, N.J., on Aug. 21, 1924, and professed temporary vows Aug. 24, 1925. Fr. Francis made his profession of solemn vows Aug. 25, 1928, and was ordained a priest in Washington, D.C., on June 9, 1931.
Fr. Francis’ first assignment was to St. Bonaventure College, Allegany, N.Y., in 1932. From there he went to the University of Pittsburgh, where he received his Ph.D. in physics in 1938. Fr. Francis returned to St. Bonaventure for four years.
At the outbreak of World War II, he received his commission as First Lieutenant in the Army Chaplains’ Corps on June 10, 1942. Fr. Francis was attached to the 330th Infantry Regiment of the 83rd Division. During the war, he saw active service and combat duty as a captain in Europe and ministered to wounded servicemen on the battlefield.
After the war, he returned to St. Bonaventure as head of the physics department. Except for six years at Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y., where he was academic Dean from 1952 to 1958, Fr. Francis spent 17 years of his life in teaching and administration at St. Bonaventure College. He also served at St. Anthony Shrine in Boston from 1961 to 1973, and then retired at St. Anthony’s Residence.
Fr. Francis died at Mount Alverno Center in Warwick, N.Y., on May 14, 1993. He was 87 years old, a professed friar for 67 years and a priest for almost 62 years.