Ermin Klaus, OFM
1905 – 1968
Fr. Ermin Klaus, OFM, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., on Feb. 24, 1905. He graduated from St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., and entered the Province’s novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., on Aug. 20, 1923.
He professed temporary vows Aug. 21, 1924, and made his profession of solemn vows Aug. 21, 1927. Fr. Ermin was ordained a priest at St. Bonaventure Church in Paterson on June 9, 1930.
After three years as a teacher in Callicoon, he went to Munich and Muenster in Germany to pursue higher studies in history. In 1938, he received his doctoral degree in Muenster. Fr. Ermin returned to the United States and was assigned to Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y., as a professor of history. In 1943, he was appointed guardian of St. Stephen’s Friary in Croghan, N.Y. Three years later, he went back to Germany and worked with the War Relief Services of the National Catholic War Council.
Fr. Ermin returned to Siena College in 1948, and then in 1952 was appointed principal and the first guardian of Bishop Timon High School in Buffalo, N.Y. He also served as the first guardian of the new St. Raphael Friary in Lafayette, N.J. His last assignment was to St. Bonaventure University, Allegany, N.Y., where he resumed his ministry of teaching.
He died in St. Clare’s Hospital in New York City on June 14, 1968. Fr. Ermin was 63 years old, a professed friar for 43 years and a priest for 38 years.