Edwin Garrity, OFM
1894 – 1963
Fr. Edwin Garrity, OFM, was born on Dec. 19, 1894 in Philadelphia. He studied at St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., and entered the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., in 1914, professing simple vows one year later. He made his solemn profession in 1918 and was ordained a priest in 1921.
His first assignment was teaching at St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary from 1921 to 1926. He then entered parish ministry, serving with distinction in northern New Jersey, Winsted, Conn., and Buffalo. Fr. Edwin served at St. Joseph Parish in East Rutherford, N.J., first as assistant, then as pastor. He built the new church and friary there before he was appointed pastor of Holy Name Parish in Garfield, N.J., in 1934. One year later, he became pastor of St. Joseph Parish in Winsted.
In 1937, Fr. Edwin returned to St. Joseph’s in East Rutherford as guardian and pastor, serving for three years until he was assigned pastor of St. Anthony Parish in Butler, N.J. He served at St. Anthony’s for nine years before he became pastor of St. Patrick’s Parish in Buffalo, N.Y. Ill health forced him to leave one year later. He spent the last 13 years of his life at St. Anne Parish, Fair Lawn, N.J.
He died on Oct. 16, 1963 at St. Joseph Hospital in Paterson. Fr. Edwin was 68 years old, a professed friar for 48 years and a priest for 42 years.