Conrad O’Leary, OFM
1897 – 1947
Fr. Conrad O’Leary, OFM, was born on June 30, 1897 in Meriden, Conn. A graduate of St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., he entered the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., in 1919 and professed temporary vows one year later. He made his solemn profession in 1923 and was ordained a priest in 1926.
After studying philosophy and education at The Catholic University, Washington, Fr. Conrad received his Ph.D. in 1931. His doctoral thesis was titled: “The Composition of Man, According to St. Bonaventure.”
He spent the rest of his life as a professor at St. Bonaventure College, Allegany, N.Y., also serving as the beloved pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in the nearby hamlet of Knapp Creek. Fr. Conrad was also responsible for the care of St. Bonaventure Cemetery and the restoration of the mortuary chapel on the hill there.
A renowned teacher and orator, Fr. Conrad was universally loved for his amiable disposition and his quick Irish wit. He was a master of repartee, and a popular speaker for dedications, communion breakfasts, and other local events.
He died on Sept. 25, 1947 at St. Clare’s Hospital in New York City. Fr. Conrad was 50 years old, a professed friar for 27 years and a priest for 21 years.