Charles V Hayes, OFM
1917 – 2005
Fr. Charles Hayes, OFM, was born on Oct. 23, 1917 in Great Barrington, Mass., and was baptized John. He graduated from Providence College with a bachelor’s degree in education. His had two older brothers who were Franciscans. Fr. Charles was received into the Order at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., where he was given the name Charles. He professed first vows one year later, made his solemn profession in 1945 and was ordained in 1946.
From 1946 until 1963, he taught English at Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y. He also served as assistant director of athletics during some of that time. In 1963, Fr. Chuck — he was never called Charles — became an associate at Our Lady’s Chapel, New Bedford, Mass. He joined the Province’s Mission Band one year later, serving for 23 years while residing in New Jersey and New York.
After retiring in 1987, Fr. Chuck continued to give missions and help in parishes for another 15 years. In 2005, he transferred to Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J.
He died there on Dec. 22, 2005. Fr. Chuck was 88 years old, a professed friar for 63 years, and a priest for 59 years.