Arnold Walters, OFM
1902 – 1992
Fr. Arnold Walters, OFM, was born Aug. 25, 1902 in Warren, Pa. He graduated from St. Bonaventure College, Allegany, N.Y., in 1924 and was received into the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., one year later. Fr. Arnold professed temporary vows in 1926 and made his solemn profession and was ordained in 1929.
His first and last assignment was to St. Joseph Parish in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Fr. Arnold ministered in the southern missions of St. Francis Parish in Lenoir, N.C., and at St. Philip’s Parish in Statesville, N.C. He built the church in Lenoir and the rectory in Statesville. In 1943, Fr. Arnold was appointed vicar of St. Joseph Friary in East Rutherford, N.J., and was responsible for Assumption Parish in Wood-Ridge, N.J.
He served as pastor at ministries in Paterson and Pompton Lakes, N.J., where he enlarged the church, built the rectory and bought two pieces of property for parking. When Fr. Arnold returned to Wilkes-Barre, he repaired the entire parish plant and also purchased property of the church. Fr. Arnold was beloved by the people whom he served so faithfully, and always maintained an eternal perspective that the best was yet to come. His entire priestly life was spent in parish ministry, which he loved. His final 15 years were spent at St. Joseph Parish in Wilkes-Barre.
He died on March 8, 1992 at Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J. Fr. Arnold was 89 years old, a professed friar for 65 years and a priest for 62 years.