Alvin A Black, OFM
1931 – 2004
Fr. Alvin Black, OFM, was born on July 18, 1931 in Philadelphia and baptized George. In 1937, he entered St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y. He was received into the Order in 1953, professing temporary vows one year later. He made his solemn profession in 1957 and was ordained in 1960.
After ordination, Fr. Alvin was assigned to St. Bonaventure University, Allegany, N.Y., as a professor of philosophy, where he served for five years. He then served as pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Rochelle Park, N.J. Fr. Alvin spent the next four years at St. Anne’s Parish in Fair Lawn, N.J., and five years as an associate at St. Anthony’s Parish in Butler, N.J.
In 1976, he served as campus minister at the University of South Carolina in Columbia. Fr. Alvin then served as associate pastor at Our Lady of the Angels Parish in Little Falls, N.J., from 1978 to 1980; St. Anthony Parish from 1980 to 1985; and St. Joseph Parish, East Rutherford, N.J., from 1986 to 1987. That year, he was named pastor of Holy Cross Parish in Callicoon, N.Y., where he served for six years. He returned to St. Anthony Parish for one year, and, in 1994, served as parochial vicar of St. Joseph Parish in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. In 2002, he transferred to Holy Name Friary in Ringwood, N.J.
He died there on Dec. 26, 2004. Fr. Alvin was 73 years old, a professed friar for 50 years and a priest for 44 years.