Alexander A. Wyse, OFM
1912 – 1998
Fr. Alexander Wyse, OFM, was born March 4, 1912 in Dorchester, Mass. In 1925, he enrolled at St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y. He was received into the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., in 1930, professing temporary vows one year later. Fr. Alexander made his solemn profession in 1934 and was ordained in 1937.
Prior to his ordination, Fr. Alexander earned a master’s degree in English literature. His love of language brought him to Harvard University for study before he was assigned in 1939 to the editorial staff of St. Anthony’s Guild. In 1945, he began 25 years, off and on, as a missionary in Brazil, where he ministered as a parochial assistant, pastor, seminary lector, spiritual director and rector, as well as General Vicar of the Prelacy of Cristalandia for two years and of the Diocese of Jatai for 10 years.
Fr. Alexander was recalled to the United States on two separate occasions — in 1948 and 1977 — to serve for a total of 11 years as director of the American Academy of Franciscan History in Bethesda, Md. During his first term at Bethesda, he also served as Provincial Secretary. Sandwiched in between his terms were two years spent with the Allegany Franciscan Sisters in Jamaica as a high school chaplain. While there, he also established a Secular Franciscan fraternity.
In 1982, Fr. Alexander joined the staff of St. Anthony Shrine in Boston, assuming the duties of postulator of the cause of the five Franciscan martyrs of Georgia, his assignment for the next 15 years.
He died on Feb. 19, 1998 at Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J. Fr. Alexander was 85 years old, a professed friar for 66 years and a priest for 60 years. He was the older brother of Fr. Gregory Wyse, OFM.