The following is a monthly compilation of news from the English-speaking Conference of the Order of Friars Minor, comprising the provinces of Canada, England, Ireland, Lithuania, Malta and the United States.
ROME — Eighteen young friars from three branches of the Franciscan Family — Friars Minor, Conventual and Capuchin — are concluding a three-week retreat and pilgrimage in Rome, the Rieti Valley and Assisi.
The friars — including three from Holy Name Province, John Aherne, OFM, George Camacho, OFM, and Edgardo Jara, OFM — are taking part in the Franciscan Pilgrimage Program’s Study Pilgrimage for Solemn Profession. Some of the friars have recently professed solemn vows, while others are preparing to make their solemn profession in the near future, according to a report from the Order.
In addition to the United States, the friars on the pilgrimage come from Canada, Costa Rica, Australia, Korea, Honduras and Mexico.
Other recent news from around English-speaking Conference includes:
- A job opening for a full-time archivist for Our Lady of Guadalupe Province in Albuquerque, N.M.
- The election on July 12 of Br. Dobromir Jasztal, OFM, as custodial vicar of the Holy Land
- St. Anthony’s Dining Room in San Francisco, a food-service program sponsored by St. Barbara Province, served its 42 millionth meal on July 11. The facility is the only food service program in the California city that serves free meals every day of the year.
- Information about Blessed Frederic Janssoone, OFM, that was published in the Catholic Register this month. The article titled “Franciscan who might be Canada’s next saint remains unknown to many” was posted on the Facebook page of the English-speaking Conference.
— Maria Hayes is communications coordinator for Holy Name Province.
- “Vatican Appoints Friar as Administrator of Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, Other ESC News” — June 29, 2016, HNP Today
- “Council approves Three Friars for Solemn Profession” – March 24, 2016 HNP Today
- “New Franciscan Archives Opened in New Mexico” — March 23, 2016 HNP Today